My Top Ten (Not What You Think)

Go down

My Top Ten (Not What You Think) Empty My Top Ten (Not What You Think)

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 am

Top ten albums that have influenced me, in all ways - as a musician, as a dancer, as a model, as a person. No particular order. I will not list a reason as to why, but if you want a reason and ask I will be happy to divulge.
Note: I have better music taste than you. Everyone. I have better music taste than the whole world. I also have better music taste than everyone on Mars.

Weezer - The Blue Album
Favourite song - "Say it Ain't So"
Radiohead - Kid A
Favourite song - "Everything in its Right Place"
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping the Secrets of Silent Earth 3
Favourite song - 9TheVeloriumCamperIII_AlTheK.mp3]"The Velorium Camper III - Al the Killer"
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
Favourite Song - "Pull Out"
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Favourite Song - "1979"
Paramore - All We Know is Falling
Favourite Song - "Conspiracy"
Vanessa Carlton - Harmonium
Favourite Song - "Papa"
Thrice - Vheissu
Favourite Song - "The Earth Will Shake"
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Favourite Song - "Great Gig in the Sky"
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Favourite Song - One might expect me to say "New Noise," because it's their most commercial song. I still hold the song in high regard (it was my Modern solo two years running). Unfortunately I cannot find the link to my favourite song, "Refused are Fuckin' Dead."

Anyway, that's it.
I realized instead of writing a biography of myself someday I should just force people to listen to these albums; they'd get an idea.

Admin

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My Top Ten (Not What You Think) Empty Re: My Top Ten (Not What You Think)

Post  MikielJoe on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:47 am

I fucking hate Weezer.
MikielJoe
MikielJoe

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-12-31

View user profile http://myspace.com/unwanted_heart

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny-boy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:50 am

i like Weezer to a point.
Paramore's okayish.
the rest are either legends or 1hitwonders.

i want to put my top 10 influences up now. =D
Jonny-boy
Jonny-boy

Number of posts : 1303

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/standupmotherfucker

Back to top Go down

Post  Saraaa on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:51 am

ah. I don;t evenr remmgber weezr. asklwe.
Saraaa
Saraaa

Number of posts : 157

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:40 pm

On Weezer: I like to pretend their last couple albums never happened. Okay, the Pork and Beans video is funny a few times. That's about it. That's why The Blue Album is on the list.
On Paramore: They are probably my biggest influence as a female rock musician; they're a good example of females in the alternative world as opposed to popwashed acts like Katy Perry, Meg&Dia, etc.
One "One-Hit-Wonders": The only artist on that list I identify as being a one-hit wonder is DFA 1979, and that would be because they broke up after the release of the album. I know Coheed isn't on MuchMusic and MTV as much as they used to be, but as a live show I love them to death.

Actually, I never watch music videos, ever. I don't think I've seen too many videos from my top ten albums... maybe the Blood Red Summer video and the Black History Month video? And I don't listen to radio, so I am not really aware of what the singles are anyway. I'm not interested in the "hits," which is why I've listed ALBUMS, not songs.
Actually, I don't want to give the misconception that these are my top-ten favourite artists. If they were, Pink Floyd and Vanessa wouldn't be on there, but K-Os and Broken Social Scene would be. They've just never had an album which is so engraved on my heart.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny-boy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Bree-lin' in the Years wrote:On Weezer: I like to pretend their last couple albums never happened. Okay, the Pork and Beans video is funny a few times. That's about it. That's why The Blue Album is on the list.
On Paramore: They are probably my biggest influence as a female rock musician; they're a good example of females in the alternative world as opposed to popwashed acts like Katy Perry, Meg&Dia, etc.
One "One-Hit-Wonders": The only artist on that list I identify as being a one-hit wonder is DFA 1979, and that would be because they broke up after the release of the album. I know Coheed isn't on MuchMusic and MTV as much as they used to be, but as a live show I love them to death.

i'm not going to pretend i wasn't in love with Perfect Situation. the chorus of that song is pretty awesome. and the video for it has Elishia, whom i love love love.

i don't think of Paramore as alternative so much as their look is very in. i LOVE the lead singer's hair because i have a thing for redheads(especially unnaturally bright ones). but i think they're more pop-punk. i just wish they could be a little more credible. for instance, their debut was VERY indie and i really liked a lot of it, but RIOT! is pretty much targeted to the Fall Out Boy crowd. i like the singles because i've been able to hear them multiple times without the rest of the album, but when i try to listen to it altogether, it's very crowding.

isn't Vanessa Carlton a one-hit wonder too? don't get me wrong, i love the one-hits, they usually have very underrated albums (Robyn, Meredith Brooks, LTC). a lot of them don't get the chance to really shine because of the public's ADD with music. for every great one-hit wonder, there's some idiot making shitty music and having a string of hits.
Jonny-boy
Jonny-boy

Number of posts : 1303

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/standupmotherfucker

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 am

Riot! is a good CD to dance around to; I actually teach a lot of my jazz classes to their music. Yeah, it's a little more commercial, but not THAT much more than All We Know in my opinion.
As for Vanessa, I actually have no idea where she stands. Her newest album is also close to my heart, and I think it did really well. I think it's that her first CD was REALLY mainstream, and she was compared to Michelle Branch and everything. People still like her music, it's just not as mainstream as before. As a pianist AND a ballerina, Vanessa is kind of a demi-God.

But about genres... I'm not a genre snob. I'm a music snob in general in that I'm quite picky about what I like, but I refuse to dismiss something just because of its genre, or its popularity. I mean, I still get up and dance around to Rhianna and stuff. I'm not going to automatically hate something because it's poppy, nor am I immediately going to like something because it is "rock." If something is featured on MuchMusic does that make them a sell-out? I don't think so.
It's all about the quality of the music for me. In my opinion, Sum 41 is a band that went backwards in quality. They started out when I was in the sixth or seventh grade, and they were skateboard punk (which, in the seventh grade, appealed to me quite a bit). Then 'Does This Look Infected' came out and they got a bit heavier, more true-punk (or as close to punk as you can come these days). Then 'Chuck' came along and it was one of my favourite albums ever - it's very close to being on this list. It was very dark, a little reminiscent of the Pumpkins for me. Now 'Underclass Hero' is out and it's one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Very juvenile lyrics, and a clear attempt at being American-Idiot-era Green Day. Thanks Avril Lavigne, for ruining them.
Another Canadian group that got severely ruined by their lead singer's marriage, in my opinion, was Our Lady Peace.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ElectricJeraldoAcidTest on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 am

I miss Our Lady Peace Sad
ElectricJeraldoAcidTest
ElectricJeraldoAcidTest

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 am

When I was in the eleventh grade I listened to Clumsy (the album, not the song), then right when Clumsy ended I listened to Healthy in Paranoid Times in its entirety. The difference was so vast it almost made me cry.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avess on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 pm

ANGELSPIT blood death ivory
COBRA KILLER cobra killer
EC8OR the one and only high and low
SMASHING PUMPKINS mellon collie and the infinite sadness
MIA arular
BJORK post
KMFDM tohuvabohu
SANTOGOLD santogold
LACUNA COIL unleashed memories
GRAM RABBIT music to start a cult to
TROST trust me
JACK OFF JILL sexless demons and scars
RASPUTINA frustration plantation
TSU SHI MA ME RE pregnant fantasy
SPALDING ROCKWELL kate
HANAYO gift
Avess
Avess

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/babytap

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Yayyy we have one the same!!

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avess on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:24 pm

it's an AMAZING album
actually all of their albums are superb
apart from the new one imo!
Avess
Avess

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/babytap

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum