Lauren's Lesson re: feet!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lauren's Lesson re: feet!

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Okay, as a dancer I REALLY look for body-lines. That's why I had a problem with Karasu's picture, because his lines made his limbs look short. One of the easiest ways to break lines is by sickling your feet, which Lauren did when she kind of wrapped her foot around the press-up bar.
But I'm not only picky about sickled feet because of how they look, it can actually really mess up your angle.

So, a nice foot:

An icky foot:

See, it's when you bend inwards from your ankle.

Now, bending like that stretches your muscle out. I used to sickle really bad before my competitive days, and no one ever corrected me. So my ankles were weak. Here's what nice feet look when they're holding you up (and yeah, i think my feet are perfect for dance, nyuhhh!)

But here's what happens when you're leaning back into a sickle:

So how did I get my injury? Well for one thing, because of my years of sickling (and also my muscle disorder somewhat) I have extremely weak ankles. I can't afford to stand on my feet when they're not stretched through the ankle. Well, last year in my jazz class that I was TEACHING, I landed a jump on sickled feet like the picture above. My right ankle bent inwards on an EXTREME ankle and I got a really bad sprain, muscle damage, AND chipped bones on the top of my foot. I was told to stop dancing and that my ankles probably wouldn't be able to hold me up on my tippy-toes for at least a year. I took a month off of classes (but still sat in the corner and watched) and then hopped right back in, on pointe. It was probably a dumb decision, but I paid my money, I was gonna compete. Unfortunately there have been permanent repercussions. I get an ache in my right ankle/foot all the time now, and sometimes it gets so swollen I can't get my tap shoes on. Ne pas de fun.

So yeah, sickling your feet not only ruins a nice leg line, but it could also really hurt you. Very Happy THE MORE YOU KNOW!!

Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Number of posts: 859
Registration date: 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lauren's Lesson re: feet!

Post  Jilpen on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:38 pm

AAAAAHHHH I hate feet....They creep me out.

Jilpen

Number of posts: 825
Registration date: 2009-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:39 pm

lol sorrryy lol ill know next timeeee =]

Lauren

Number of posts: 225
Registration date: 2008-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Hah hah, ohhh you silly weirdo (weirdo is a compliment!), you don't need to apolgize.
This is my lesson to rrrrveryone, not just about sickling itself, but make sure you keep your body-lines nice. Even when you're doing a constricted model-pretzel, everything should look like it could go on forever.
And speaking of feet and lines, I think part of the reason your hula hoop picture was not chosen (Lesus never showed it to us, he showed us that one and the one with the roller-skates) is because your legs are all bent and wonky? It would have been magical if you pointed your feet though (flexed feet are the same reason I HATE Saleisha's great wall picture!!). That's the problem with Converse... they're soooo nice. But you can't move your damn feet in 'em. Sigh. Such a conflict. Hmm, I'm gonna wear my purple converse to class today.
Thanks, Lauren!

Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Number of posts: 859
Registration date: 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top