Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant).

Go down

Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant). Empty Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant).

Post  Cowboy Breebop on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:28 pm

How's this for a long-ass post, Jilpen? I got very pissed off today when someone gave me shit for being "faithless," so this rant is kind of anger-driven.

Okay, before I go on this rant I want to put up my atheist disclaimer: I'm not telling people it's not okay to believe in God. I think it's important to be accepting of everyone's religions and belief systems. I'm simply ranting directly to those who give God credit for everything, when in reality there are others who deserve the credit.

So, that plane landing in the Hudson River and everyone actually survived? I think that's a really inspirational story because it shows the capacities of human courage - HUMAN. So when I was watching the news the other day and they were asking people on the street what they thought about it, it particularly irked me when one lady said "God was with them on that plane." Another few people alluded to God being the reason for the survival.
Well now, that's confounding. Because didn't the pilot know to not put the landing gear down, so it would buy the passengers some time to get out of the plane? Isn't he the reason these people didn't die in one of the most tragic AND terrifying ways? And where do you think he learned how to prevent disaster - from God, or from when he was TRAINING TO BE A PILOT?! So yeah, keep your faith, but remember that they were saved NOT by divine intervention, but by the quick and smart thinking of their pilot.
And if "God was with them on that plane," then is that to imply that God was not on a certain few flights in the fall of 2001? Damn, those people were unlucky. They must have all been sinners. Or worse. Unitarians. (Just kidding). Because, you know, God wasn't with them on the plane. And he certainly wasn't there for the people in the towers. They must have all been Atheists.
Oh wait, then there's the ever-ready rebuttle - "God wanted this to happen." There's a no-lose excuse. If something good happens? PRAISE THE FREAKING LORD! He wanted it to happen. If something bad happens, like say, a five-year-old child dies... fuck it, God wanted that to happen.
Let me tell you something: I'm standing typing this at my kitchen counter, and the blender is open next to me. If I were to decide to stick my hand in there and turn it on, permanantly disfiguring myself, that was MY intent, not God's. And since it's my decision, I'm not doing it. I have to ask, when there are things that God "wants" to happen, where is the line drawn? Is it at fluke things, like natural disaster, or cancer? Or is he still playing a hand in events such as suicide or car crashes related to drunk driving, where the human's decision comes into play somewhat?
Or what about wild bear attacks? Just wondering.
There are certain things that I can simply fail to see the bright side of, whether or not God wanted them to happen - like Tim Maclean losing his damn head on that Greyhound in July. So God wanted him to have a gruesome-beyond-belief death, take a son away from a family, AND traumatize every single person on that bus to the point where they'll probably all need therapy to get those images out of their minds? Of course, according to the "small religious group from the Southern US" (aka a CULT) who protested the man's funeral, Tim Maclean was obviously a bad person because God wouldn't kill a good person in such a way.
And that brings me to the last point of my rant. Prayer. See, back when I was forced to believe in what my parents believed, they never really pushed praying on me. And despite being a somewhat-strong Catholic, my mom doesn't believe in the power of prayer. Why? Because it's again one of those no-lose guarantees (for the believers). If a child survives a life-or-death operation, well, thank goodness people were praying! But, oh, if the child dies? My former voice teacher once said that when her niece was very sick she did not pray necessarily for her survival, but that her parents will get through the hard time. So I guess God is picking up the therapy bill.
When my sister was off to Toronto for brain surgery at age eight, all the people who told my parents "We're praying for Erika," should really have tried to do a little something more. Like maybe, offer to babysit my brother and I when my parents were gone? Or take them out for dinner, even crappy take-out, while they were worn out and stressed to the max? In my opinion, praying for someone is fine when you're doing something ELSE to help, but when you can't so much as offer the person a few minutes of your time to listen to them talk about their struggles, then you're just being a passive, lazy friend.
Next time something really good happens, like when my sister made it through her operation and did not go blind like we all thought she would, instead of first saying that God intervened, how about crediting the DOCTORS? I think believing in God is perfectly fine, for some it gives them a sense of structure and a lot of strength in times of need. But I don't get why to believe in God you have to forego your belief in science, or the intelligence/capabilities of humans. Geez louise.

Admin

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant). Empty Re: Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant).

Post  Karasu on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:44 pm

You are so right.

I hate when people thank "god" for this and for that. How about they actually look at the people who helped saved lives instead of saying that some invisible force saved them
Karasu
Karasu

Number of posts : 936

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant). Empty Re: Bree as Elyse: God is a credit-hog (warning, strong Atheist tone to this rant).

Post  Killian-1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm Catholic, but I'm not hardcore religious at all. I agree with you when you say how the pilot's quick thinking saved those people, and how things happen because God wants them to happen. I do believe he is there, but after reading about Tim McLean's murder... I'm shocked, and disgusted.

I come from a family where religion is very important, moreso in my grandparents.

I really, genuinely don't know what to believe.
Killian-1
Killian-1

Number of posts : 440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karasu on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:15 pm

I was raised catholic, but then i realized that religion is not for me. I dont think believing in some all powerful spirit will make my life better.
Karasu
Karasu

Number of posts : 936

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Karasu wrote:I was raised catholic, but then i realized that religion is not for me. I dont think believing in some all powerful spirit will make my life better.

It's worried me though, because will all non-believers go to hell/never ending purgatory? Will I just get into heaven if I'm a good person, and believe in God?

What about the nicest person in the world doesn't believe in God? What happens to them?
Killian-1
Killian-1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hottamaletrain on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm not gonna respond to this thread for fear of going on some long rant and being branded the devil.

Oops that was a response right?
Hottamaletrain
Hottamaletrain

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2009-01-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chantal_Jade on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 pm

i beleive that when you die you die nothing happens.. your body is just a machine that stops working.. nobody has a soul or anything like that

being an atheist with italian relatives is hard as i get made to go to church when i go to Italy! grrr

xo
Chantal_Jade
Chantal_Jade

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2008-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jilpen on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:50 pm

It's pretty good...I LOVE you long ass posts...

I believe that if people have beliefs they should believe whatever they believe. I don't see a problem with people thanking God that they lived, or that they were saved from disaster. However, people are also taught that God is everywhere and if they believe God was on the flight that carried survivors they must also believe that God was on a flight that crashed. If everyone is living in a divine plan the beliefs are...we die when we are supposed to, we live if we are suipposed to, everything we do we do it because we are supposed to.
Jilpen
Jilpen

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2009-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Hottamaletrain wrote:I'm not gonna respond to this thread for fear of going on some long rant and being branded the devil.

Oops that was a response right?

I don't think anybody on here would be silly enough to brand you the devil. Razz
Killian-1
Killian-1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hottamaletrain on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I've been called the devil before actually, also I've been told I do the devils work b/c I make people doubt their faith Embarassed
Hottamaletrain
Hottamaletrain

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2009-01-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down