IMDB's Next Top Model 3
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke.

4 posters

Go down

Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke. Empty Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke.

Post  Cowboy Breebop Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 pm

This show is hella entertaining, and good for the girls who won, but when I saw it I immediately thought of the fifth-through-eighth-graders I used to tutor in music and how I didn't like the idea of them watching it.
The first disturbing thing that I would like to point out is that in the very first episode, Robin says that Girlicious is what "every girl should aspire to be." Which, I mean, I never aspired to be like these girls, but whatever. My shock at this statement was punctuated with the third episode, when the girls had to perform for a group of what could be their potential audience someday, and some of the girls looked as young as nine.
I mean, for one thing, I don't think super young girls are ready for the idea of crotch-length skirts, tops the size of neckties, and lips the size of pillows, but PCD has been around long enough that Girlicious is barely going to make anymore impact than PCD in that respect.
What I DO think is damaging is that the team behind the show is actually making the process of making a girl band look really awful. Some of the girls in the top twelve were American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance-blooper-reel-bad. And the judges seem to pass it off as, "Well, she's not PERFECT, but... she's HOT." Honestly, "hot" must be uttered forty times an episode, at least.
There's also the problem with how the girls treated Ilisa, not that she was the best performer or anthing, but essentially leaving her out of everything just because she was "different." And it was ultimately the reason for her elimination (which, sorry Robin, but did you not realize she was tall and redheaded when you picked her?!). I think that's horrible behaviour to teach young girls. I think the young girls who liked Ilisa's style at the challenge proved that little girls do (and should) value individuality and a nice personality more than a girl who busts out of a corset while lipsynching a few pop tunes.
Now, I'm not naive. I know that the music industry is like this in every genre (not just pop; it happens in punk and rap). I know that it's pretty much all based on the look, and if you have a marginal talent, you're deemed as "servicable" and you just get fed through Pitch-Correct. And no, it also doesn't matter if you're a good person, as long as you show up to shit on time and don't act like a jerk to exects you'll be fine. But I barely think this show should EXIST, let alone target itself at girls age ten-to-fifteen. It really does teach girls that hard work, natural talent, and politeness doesn't matter at all. Most girls are too young and inexperienced to know the difference between real life and showbusiness, so PCD and its associates need to stop targeting themselves at girls this young. It's as if they WANT little girls to turn into hookers.
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke. Empty Re: Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke.

Post  Jilpen Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:13 pm

I keep thinking of the MAD TV skit that made fun of Girlicious.

They had a song called "Lick Me Up". They constantly chanted "Lick Me Up" the entire song but at the end they said very politely, "But Respect Me". And that is so true about our society...girls constantly demand respect from men but they barely even give it themselves.

Jilpen
Jilpen

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke. Empty Re: Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke.

Post  AdultCookies Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

hahah a revolutionary group of sluts
i love mad tv
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Number of posts : 1744

http://pankocholofresa.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:39 pm

They're all so gross. When I saw the "Stupid Shit" music video I think I got an STD. Probably syphilis.
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 pm

i know i'm kinda ruining your thread, but watch this
hehehe
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:54 pm

i just saw the "stupid shit" video.
i want to get a group of hookers and call them a girl band too. what the hell?! how old are these girls?
oh and i just realized i've had a gif of the blonde one for like a year.

Just saw 'Girlicious' for the first time (thanks Nicole) and I could just puke. K47e5t
yeah idek
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Nicole idolizes them. When Natalie uttered in the makeover episode "being pretty is a talent" Nicole went on a rant about how that's actually true.
I agree that being pretty is special, but I consider a "talent" something you DO, not something you ARE.
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:11 pm

what the hell? being pretty isn't a talent.
what, so now being born on a certain day is considered talent too?
sneezing with your eyes open, THAT'S a talent.
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 pm

I tried to do that once. It ended up really hurting my eyelids
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 am

hahah it's supposed to be impossible.
did you know that when we sneeze, our hearts stop for like a second?
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 am

I thought that if you hold your eyes open when you sneeze that your eyes pop out? cyclops
Killian-1
Killian-1

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 am

i would try doing it to see if it's true, but i like my eyes
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:57 am

Here's a joke!

What's brown and sticky?

(Someone ask 'what?' now!)
Killian-1
Killian-1

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am

what
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:08 am

... A stick!

Suspect
Killian-1
Killian-1

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:09 am

...oh :/
hehe it's not that funny, but i laugh at unfunny jokes
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Killian-1 Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 am

I bathe in unfunny jokes.

Shocked
Killian-1
Killian-1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 am

What's blak and rhymes with Snoop?
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:39 am

what
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowboy Breebop Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 am

Dr. Dre.
Cowboy Breebop
Cowboy Breebop
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdultCookies Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:16 am

:/ :\
AdultCookies
AdultCookies
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down